Burning Off

Burning off grass, stubble, weeds, undergrowth or other vegetation is generally permitted outside the Fire Danger Period.

burning off

Local laws on burn-offs can apply year-round. Check with your local council before lighting up.

Before burning off, ensure:

  • You're following regulations or laws by CFA and your local council.
  • You notify your neighbours if your activity will generate fire and smoke.
  • Check the weather forecast for the day of the activity and a few days afterwards.
  • Establish a gap in vegetation or fire break with no less than three metres cleared of all flammable material.
  • There are enough people to monitor, contain and extinguish the burn safely and effectively.
  • You notify Triple Zero Victoria.

Unregistered burn-offs can cause brigades to be called out unnecessarily.

Register your burn-off

Notify Triple Zero Victoria of your planned burn:


Check CFAs Fire Permits page for information on permit requirements and application processes. 

Important note:

Some information that you provide may be displayed on the CFA website. This may include the street name and area where the planned burn you are registering will take place. This information may be shared using the CFA, Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) and Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) websites at the time of ignition, as well as the VicEmergency website and app and internal incident management systems.



Page last updated:  Tuesday, 19 December 2023 3:04:39 PM