Road Closures (Traffic Management Points)

How do I find out which roads are closed?

For information during an emergency see VicEmergency.

You can find out which roads are closed in ‘real time’ either online or via a smart phone. Go to the VicRoads - VicTraffic website. Alerts will also be available on Twitter.

If you don't have internet access, you can call the VicRoads Transport Operations Centre on 13 11 70. This number can also be used to report a fault, hazard or problem on the roads. VicRoads TOC operates 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

This information has been developed by Emergency Management Victoria in consultation with emergency service agencies.

Traffic Management Points (TMPs)

TMPs are temporary road closures set up during an emergency to protect the safety of people, and vehicles, travelling into an affected area.

They are used to protect the safety of residents, the wider community and emergency services personnel.

Risks to safety may include:

  • the emergency event itself such as a fire or flood
  • dangerous trees or debris on the road
  • destruction or damage to road or a bridge
  • traffic congestion for response vehicles

What are the different levels of access?

During an incident, emergency services will continually review the need for road closures and the appropriate access levels. Below is a table showing the five different levels of access.

Access Levels

No entry

Emergency Services Only.


Level B

  • Emergency Services
  • Safety assessment teams
  • Residents and business owners (at the discretion of the Incident Controller)


Level C

  • Level B plus:
  • Residents
  • Recovery and relief services
  • Council/VIC ROADS
  • Accredited media


Level D

  • Level B &C plus:
  • Road owners
  • Employees
  • Persons bringing supplies for people and animals
Road Open

Access levels are determined by incident controllers i.e. the people in charge of the situation, and the traffic management point/road closure is usually staffed by police or other emergency services, VicRoads or local council staff.

Gaining access

People permitted access at levels B & C will need to provide correct identification. If a person does not have ID or if they need frequent access, they may be issued with a wristband.  

More information about wristbands can be obtained from a traffic management point or a community location like a recovery centre.

It’s important to remember that safety must always come first and access may not always be granted.

What’s changed?

In December 2014, guidelines were enhanced to provide more flexible access for residents and business owners, where safe and appropriate. This included consideration of ‘early access’ for farmers and others whose livelihoods depend on the access and maintenance of stock, crops etc.

The revised guidelines also have an increased focus on animal welfare. If it is safe and appropriate, the Incident Controller may decide to also give DEPI animal welfare staff and/or other supporting personnel direct access or access under escort providing there are sufficient resources. Access for bee keepers and others will also be considered.

Those provided with early access will need to meet minimum safety requirements including appropriate clothing, communications devices, vehicles and equipment.  




Page last updated:  Thursday, 21 December 2023 2:02:19 PM