Fire Danger Period Permits

Businesses or individuals who need to use fire in the open air to conduct their work or activity during the Fire Danger Period may require a permit.

Permit applications are assessed in accordance with the Country Fire Authority Act 1958.

Applications for permits during a Fire Danger Period will be considered based on local and expected conditions. Permits may or may not be granted.

Submitting an application does not guarantee that a permit will be issued. Any permit issued may be suspended for a period of time at the direction of CFA or by declaration of a Total Fire Ban. A permit may also be cancelled by the issuing officer.


Activities requiring a Fire Danger Period permit: 

  • Bird scaring
  • Blow lamps or gas torches
  • Blacksmithing
  • Catering (applicant must hold a Temporary Food Premises / Stall permit from the relevant Municipal Health Officer)
  • Fire training
  • Fireworks and other uses of fire for public entertainment (applicant must hold a Pyrotechnical License)
  • Flares at a petroleum fractionation plant, a gas plant or any plant of a like nature
  • Hot Air Ballooning
  • Landowner vegetation burn - light fuels (like grass and stubble)
  • Landowner vegetation burn - heavy fuels (like trees and branches)

Who issues Fire Danger Period permits?

Depending on the location of the activity, the assessment of applications and issuing of Schedule 13 and Schedule 14 permits may be done by:

  • CFA if the planned activity is within the country area of Victoria or
  • Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) if the planned activity is within the FRV fire district or
  • Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA)

If the planned activity is within any forest, national park, protected public or fire protected area, a type of Fire Danger Period permit called a 'Permit to burn' is issued by the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA).

How do I apply for a Fire Danger Period permit?

  1. Apply for a Fire Danger Period permit online through the Fire Permits Victoria website. 
  2. If you are unable to apply online, contact your local council, CFA District Office or FRV Regional Office

If you're not sure if your planned burn location is within the country area of Victoria or the FRV fire district, please check the CFA & FRV Boundaries. Note: If applying online, the system will work out which agency is aligned to your application.


Other important information:

Country area of Victoria

The country area of Victoria means that part of Victoria which lies outside the FRV fire district, but does not include, any forest, national park or protected public land.

Fire protected areas

In some areas, called fire protected areas, which are within the country area of Victoria and within 1.5km of forests, national parks or protected public land, fire restrictions are determined by the Prohibited Period under the Forests Act.

The Prohibited Period generally coincides with CFA's declared Fire Danger Period but may vary depending on bushfire risk in a given fire season. The list of places and dates where the Prohibited Period applies can be found on the Forest Fire Management Victoria website. 

Total Fire Ban Days

Permits issued to use fire in the open air during a Fire Danger Period DO NOT ALLOW the permit holder to use fire on a day of Total Fire Ban.

Depending on the location of the planned activity, a person may apply to CFA, FRV or DEECA for a Section 40 permit to light a fire on a Total Fire Ban day, but only for specific purposes. See Total Fire Ban permits for more information.


Conditions will apply if a permit is granted. The applicant agrees to comply with all conditions.

Failure to comply with each and every condition contained in any permit issued is an offence under the law and penalties for non-compliance will apply.

Compliance with the permit conditions will not of itself relieve the permit holder from liability (civil or criminal) for any damage sustained by another person as a result of any fire lit by the permit holder


Notifications, as required by the permit conditions, are very important. These notifications are to prevent an unwarranted response by the local Fire Brigade as a result of a '000' call being received. Refer to the permit for specific detail regarding who must be notified before you burn.

The Fire Permits Victoria website also allows you to notify authorities when you plan to use your permit.




Page last updated:  Wednesday, 26 June 2024 1:39:23 PM