Information on carrying out a planned burn
Before you notify us and carry out your planned burn, ensure:
- You are following regulations or laws by CFA and your local council.
- You notify your neighbours if your activity will generate fire and smoke.
- Check the weather forecast for the day of the activity and a few days afterwards.
- Establish a gap in vegetation or fire break of no less than three metres cleared of all flammable material.
- There are enough people to monitor, contain and extinguish the burn safely and effectively.
Find out more information about burning off >>
How to notify?
To ensure that the fire services are aware of your planned burn, please give the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) prior notification.
Register online on the Fire Permits Victoria website. You can do so if your burn-off commences more than two hours from now.
If you wish to start your burn-off immediately, or do not wish to utilise the online form, you may register your burn-off by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
National Relay Service Users can ring 1300 555 727 and ask for Information to be relayed to ESTA via 1800 668 511
Complete the Burn off Notification Form (PDF 191.5KB) and email the form to email@example.com
Notifying ESTA about planned burns prevents unnecessary fire brigade response. Callers reporting an actual fire can then verify that the fire is a planned burn. If this can't be verified a fire brigade will be asked to respond.
Page last updated: Monday, 31 May 2021 2:52:41 PM