Title Tile

Total Fire Ban Permits

Web Content Tile

Do not wait for a day of Total Fire Ban to apply for a permit.

Total Fire Ban permits can be issued at the beginning of the Fire Danger Period (typically September to April) to allow you to work on any days of Total Fire Ban. Waiting until a day of Total Fire Ban may result in you not receiving your permit on time and therefore being unable to undertake your activity for the day.

Total Fire Ban Who can apply for a Total Fire Ban (Section 40) Permit?

  • Community organisations
  • Charitable organisations
  • Fundraising organisations
  • Statutory corporations
  • Municipal Councils
  • Industrial operations or trade

Applications for a Total Fire Ban day permit can only be considered for specified purposes:

  • Carrying out necessary work / business activity
  • Public Entertainment
  • Religious or cultural purposes 

Types of activities requiring a permit:

  • Welding, cutting and/or grinding
  • Heating and spreading of bitumen and like substances
  • Blow lamps or gas torches
  • Safety fuses in blasting operations
  • Emergency flares at civil and military aerodromes
  • Flares at a petroleum fractionation plant, a gas plant or any plant of a like nature
  • Industrial heat testing
  • Bee keeping - using bee smokers
  • Catering - use of fire in the open air (applicant must hold a Temporary Food Premises / Stall permit from the relevant Municipal Health Officer)
  • Fireworks and other uses of fire for public entertainment (applicant must hold a Pryotechnical License)
  • Sawmill waste and refuse burners
  • Use of LPG burners for Hot Air Ballooning (applicant must be a commercial operator).

To apply for a Total Fire Ban permit:

  1. Fill out the Total Fire Ban permit application form (PDF 399k) | Word version (docx 40k), explaining why it is necessary for you to use fire in the open air on a day of Total Fire Ban (TFB). DO NOT WAIT FOR A TFB to be declared by CFA, permits can be issued prior and be valid for the whole summer.
  2. Return your form, with all sections fully completed, to fire.restrictions@cfa.vic.gov.au or post to:
    CFA Permit Officer
    c/o CFA Level 4
    PO Box 500
    Melbourne VIC 8002
  3. Lodge your form with CFA early. Permit management processes and inspections, if required, may take some time. Applicants should aim to lodge their forms by September each year. During peak times (e.g. the first declared TFB for the season, it can take up to a week to issue permits.
  4. CFA will notify you of its decision in due course. Permit applications may not be assessed until close to the time the work is to be conducted. This is so the weather and local conditions can be assessed. CFA’s operational activity may also delay permit application processing.

*The Country Area of Victoria may include outer metropolitan Melbourne suburbs but does not include the metropolitan fire district, any forest, national park or protected public land. If you are not sure about the location you may need a permit for, please check the boundary on the orange key maps at the front of a Melway, check the CFA & FRV boundaries or contact CFA Headquarters on (03) 9262 8444. Contact FRV for permits within the FRV District and DELWP for permits in forests, national parks or protected public land.

Advanced Content Tile