Fire Permits

If you need to use fire in the open air during the Fire Danger Period or on a day of Total Fire Ban you may require a permit.

There are two types of permits. Click on a box to find out more.

Fire Danger Period

During the Fire Danger Period

A permit valid for use during the declared Fire Danger Period but not on Total Fire Ban Days (this is called a Schedule 13 or Schedule 14 Permit.

Total Fire Ban

On days of Total Fire Ban

A permit valid for days of Total Fire Ban only (this is called a Section 40 Permit)

What types of activity require a permit for using fire in the open air?

Check online on the Fire Permits Victoria website.

Screenshot of fire permits website.

Alternatively, find out more on the Can I, Can't I section. 

Unsure if you need a permit?

Contact your local CFA District Office or CFA headquarters on (03) 9262 8444.



Page last updated:  Monday, 13 February 2023 3:55:11 PM