Title Tile

Dangerous Goods

Web Content Tile

Covid-19: Changes to CFA Process for Providing Written Advice on Dangerous Goods

To protect CFA personnel, your business and the community, CFA is requesting that site occupiers supply photos to support any application for a Dangerous Goods Fire Protection Report. This will enable CFA to assess whether written advice can be provided based on a desktop review, or if a site inspection is necessary. Where a desktop assessment can be undertaken, CFA will issue written advice and reserve the opportunity to conduct a site inspection at a later date. Please refer to the application form (below) for more information.

The jurisdictional boundaries for CFA have recently changed with the creation of Fire Rescue Victoria. To identify if your facility is located within CFA’s jurisdiction, please refer to the CFA and FRV Boundaries page, or contact sidgu@cfa.vic.gov.au with your site address for advice.

If you store or handle dangerous goods on your commercial premises you may be required to seek a Dangerous Goods Fire Protection Report from CFA.

If you store or handle dangerous goods in any quantity you are obligated to do so safely and adhere to the requirements of the Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations (PDF) and Australian Standards relevant to the type of dangerous goods stored.

What are dangerous goods?

Dangerous goods are substances capable of causing harm to people and property because of their hazardous properties. They may be corrosive, flammable, combustible, explosive, oxidising or water-reactive or have other hazardous properties.

The Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012 (PDF) and the Code of Practice for the Storage and Handling of Dangerous Goods 2013 (PDF) provide key information and guidance for manufacturers, suppliers and occupiers of sites containing dangerous goods.

What are my obligations in storing dangerous goods?

It depends on the quantity involved.

Australian Standards provide guidance on minor (household) quantities up to large storages.  Copies of Australian Standards can be obtained from SAI Global.

Schedule 2 (page 74) of the Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012 provides quantities that trigger placarding, manifest and fire protection requirements.  Details of the obligations for each of these quantities are detailed within the Regulations.

When do I need to apply for a Fire Protection Report?

A CFA Fire Protection Report is required if the amount of dangerous goods stored/handled on your site exceed the 'Manifest' quantity outlined in Schedule 2 (page 74) of the Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012..

To obtain a Fire Protection Report, you are required to fill in an application form (PDF 660k) and provide CFA with documentation pertaining to your storage. A word version of the application form (DOC 40k) is also available.

If you need help with your application, contact CFA's Dangerous Goods Unit on 9262 8865 or email firesafetyreferrals@cfa.vic.gov.au

Once completed, you will need to send your application and supporting documentation to CFA by email to firesafetyreferrals@cfa.vic.gov.au

If your site falls within the boundaries of FRV, you will need to send your application to the Dangerous Goods Department at FRV. The boundaries are detailed in CFA and FRV Boundaries.

Once CFA has received your application and supporting information, we will contact you regarding the next steps.

Please note: Fees apply for Fire Protection Reports from CFA. Please refer to the application form for an indicator of fees. Applicants will be invoiced at completion of jobs. No payment is required up-front.

Emergency Information Book

The CFA Guideline for the Provision of Emergency Information (PDF 191k) is designed to ensure that key information is available to the emergency services in the event of an emergency at your site. The information contained in the EIB is designed to ensure the safety of emergency services personnel and should be located in a container at the entrance to sites storing and handling dangerous goods. The document provides guidance on preparing an Emergency Information Book that is specific to your site.

Please note: Hard copies of EIB folders are no longer available from CFA; please refer to page 1 of the CFA Guideline for the Provision of Emergency Information for guidance on assembling an EIB.

Forms & resources

See also:

Advanced Content Tile