Fire Safe Kids
Fire Safe Kids
Web Content Tile
Making a booking
Contact your local District Community Education Coordinator at your nearest CFA district headquarters to arrange a session.
- Firefighters help in an emergency
Prep - Grade 2
- Presentation 1: Get down low and go, go, go
- Presentation 2: Stop, drop, roll
- Presentation 3: Simple rules for home fire safety
- Presentation 1: Summer fire awareness
- Presentation 2: Houses, bushfires and the environment
- Presentation 3: Identifying fire hazards at home
- Presentation 1: Preparing for summer
- Presentation 2: Bushfires and the natural environment
- Presentation 3: Home fire safety
What is Fire Safe Kids?
Fire Safe Kids is CFA’s flagship education program for primary and pre-primary students. It’s delivered by volunteer or career firefighters who visit your school with an engaging and interactive presentation.
Each lesson is supported by comprehensive guides and lesson plans for teachers, and plenty of giveaways for students.
What will my students learn?
Teachers can select from a range of free presentations (each targeted to a particular year level) to help their students become fire smart from the start. Fire Safe Kids lessons cover a range of topics, such as:
- How to identify 'hot spots' or fire hazards around the home
- How to help your family develop a home fire escape plan
- Basic actions for extinguishing clothing fires and treating burn injuries
- The science behind fire according to the fire triangle
- How families and communities get ready for the bushfire season
Each presentation requires one school period and is designed for one class group (about 25-30 students).
Activities at the pre-primary level aim to help children:
- Understand the need to get out, find a safe place and call for help if there is a fire
- Be familiar with firefighters and their role in the community
Flexibility for teachers
Fire Safe Kids is entirely free of charge and provides
- presentations with strong links to the Victorian Curriculum for all levels of primary
- interactive and engaging activities
- giveaways for students including pencils, rulers, stickers and certificates
- pre- and post-visit lesson plans and support materials for teachers
- up to four sessions per day by a trained presenter
How do I book?
Contact your local CFA District Community Education Coordinator at your nearest CFA district headquarters to arrange a session. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for all other enquiries. (Please allow up to five working days for a response.)