Lesson 11 - Total Fire Bans
TOPIC - Outdoor Fire Safety
Web Content Tile
Lesson 11 - Total Fire Bans (TFBs)
- For students to know what a Total Fire Ban is.
- For students to know how to find out if there is a Total Fire Ban in place.
- For students to learn what they cannot do on days of Total Fire Ban.
- In Victoria we have to be careful not to start fires outside because they can spread very quickly.
- In Victoria there are laws about lighting fires outside and using machinery during the Fire Danger Period (usually Oct - May).
- On a day of Total Fire Ban no fires are allowed outside. It is against the law.
- You can not use machinery that might make sparks like grinders or mowers.
- CFA has a Facebook page and over summer this will let you know if there are any Total Fire Bans. You may also see signs or hear about a Total Fire Ban during the news on TV.
- You can also check the CFA website or www.cfa.vic.gov.au or call the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.
- It is your responsibility to find out.
Total Fire Bans (developed for the Fired Up English resource)
Teaching tools and activities Levels 0-1:
- Activity 11.1 Total Fire Bans Key Wods and Images
- Activity 11.2 Ask students to find the Can I or Can't I? publication in their language (translated into 26 different languages) at www.cfa.vic.gov.au/lote They can discuss what types of activities are not allowed on days of Total Fire Ban
Teaching tools and activities Level 2-4:
- Activity 11.3 Total Fire Ban Discussion Cards
- Activity 11.4 Know your Fire Weather District Matching Worksheet
- Activity 11.5 based on CFA's Can I or Can't I? publication develop a poster or presentation about the legal restrictions in Victoria and share with the class