Fire Danger Period permits
Share | Print

Fire Danger Period permits

Businesses or individuals who need to use fire to conduct their work during the Fire Danger Period may require a permit. Permit applications are assessed in accordance with the Country Fire Authority Act 1958.

Fire danger period sign

To apply for a Fire Danger Period permit:

  1. Fill out the Fire Danger Period (Schedule 14) application form (PDF 3.5Mb) | Word version (DOCX 47k), explaining why it is necessary for you to use fire in the open air during the Fire Danger Period. Permits for burning off grass, stubble, weeds or vegetation should be sought from your local Council.
  2. Return your form, with all sections fully completed, to or:
    CFA Permit Officer
    c/o CFA Level 4
    PO Box 500
    Melbourne VIC 8002
  3. Lodge your form with CFA early. Permit management processes and inspections, if required, may take some time. Applicants should aim to lodge their forms by September each year.
  4. CFA will notify you of its decision in due course. Permit applications may not be assessed until close to the time the work is to be conducted. This is so the weather and local conditions can be assessed. CFA’s operational activity may also delay permit application processing.

*The Country Area of Victoria may include outer metropolitan Melbourne suburbs but does not include the MFB Fire District, any forest, national park or protected public land. If you are not sure about the location you may need a permit for, please check the boundary on the orange key maps at the front of a Melway, check theCFA & MFB boundaries or contact CFA Headquarters on (03) 9262 8444. The Fire Danger Period does not apply in the Metropolitan Fire District.

Tell us if you are using your permit

If you have been issued a permit by CFA, please ensure you ring the District Office relevant to where you are going to operate, on each occasion you intend to use the permit. A contact list will be sent to you if a permit is granted.

If you are burning off

If you have been issued a planned burn or 'burn-off' permit by either CFA, or a Municipal Fire Prevention Officer, you need to give the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) prior notification.

Unsure if you need a permit?

Contact your local CFA District Office or CFA headquarters on (03) 9262 8444.   

Forms and guides

Note: ALL fields must be completed in order to be considered for a permit. Failure to comply may result in delays in receiving your permit. 

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

Back to top