Check your suitability
The questionnaire below is designed to help you decide whether a firefighting career might be right for you. This is not part of your application and CFA does not record these answers.
Read more about eligibility requirements below.
Did you answer 'Yes' to all of these questions?
If so, you sound like a suitable candidate for a career firefighter role.
If not, you will need to reconsider or look at doing some additional preparation.
Eligibility Requirements (essential criteria)
For more detail, download the Applicant Information Guide (PDF 1MB)
- You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, and reside within Australia.
- You must have a full (not probationary) manual driver’s licence at the time you lodge your application.
- You must not have lost your driver’s license on multiple occasions.
- You must be prepared and able to gain a Heavy Rigid driver's licence if you are offered a place on the recruit training course.
- You must declare any issue that may compromise the standard of personal integrity inherent to the position of a Career Firefigher
- All candidates need to undergo a National Police Record Check before a job offer can be made.
- Candidates must be prepared to locate into any of the CFA integrated stations at the completion of the recruit course. Although your preferences are taken into consideration, CFA ultimately makes placement decisions based on logistical need
- Medical clearance: includes a declaration by your medical practitioner, that the state of your health is sufficient to undertake the physically demanding elements of the recruitment process (paid for you).Prior to all job offers a thorough pre-employment medical is conducted on behalf of CFA by Public Health Management (paid for by CFA).