Firefighter pay rates
Salary is paid per fortnight and below is a table of pay rates based on rank – effective as of August 2013.
|Position Level||Salary per week|
|Recruit Firefighter - during the 19 week training course||$875.32|
|Firefighter Level 1 - on completion of the recruit course||$1245.69|
|Firefighter Level 2 - on completion of 12 months service and all required modules||$1269.85|
|Firefighter Level 3 - on completion of 24 months service and all required modules||$1296.92|
|Qualified Firefighter - on completion of 36 months service and a certificate of proficiency||$1402.65|
|Leading Firefighter - a minimum of 48 months service and appointed as Leading Firefighter||$1613.03|
|Station Officer - appointed after min 5 yrs service with at least 1 yr service as a Leading Firefighter||$1823.43|
|Senior Station Officer||$1963.70|
- The above pay rates are Gross Salary (before tax)
- These pay rates are effective from Aug 2013
- Recruit Firefighter wage paid during the recruit course
Career Firefighter progress to the rank of QFF as follows:
- Level 1 Firefighter (successful completion of CFA recruits training)
- Level 2 Firefighter (successful completion of agreed units and one year experience as an operational firefighter)
- Level 3 Firefighter (successful completion of agreed units and two years’ experience as an operational firefighter)
- Qualified Firefighter (successful completion of agreed units and three years’ experience as an operational firefighter)
Hours of Work
Most career firefighters work a ‘10/14’ shift roster, involving two day shifts from 8am – 6pm followed by two night shifts from 6pm – 8am, followed by four days off.
Career firefighters receive nine weeks rostered annual leave per year.
Ongoing employment as a career firefighter is subject to satisfactory completion of a six month probationary period.