Click on a firefighter to watch their interview
Meet our firefightersCLOSE
Commenced her career in 2014
"The most rewarding part of the training has been the friendships and pushing myself to new limits."
Commenced his career in 2005
"The most important thing I've learned as a firefighter is - be prepared for anything."
Senior Station Officer
Commenced his career in 2001
"Do as much preparation as you can. Learn as much as you can."
Commenced his career in 1994
"Don't get down if you don't succeed the first time. Keep having a go and you'll get there in the end."
As a firefighter employed by CFA, no day is the same - this is a role with real variety and genuine career pathways. Career firefighters at CFA work alongside, support and mentor volunteers at some of our busiest stations across outer Melbourne and regional Victoria.
Download the Career Firefighting brochure and FAQs (PDF 135k)
Who can apply
CFA recruits women and men from a wide range of work, life and cultural backgrounds. People who speak languages in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
Firefighting as a career is suited to people with a genuine desire to serve the community, and who thrive on working closely with a team.
You don't need to have firefighting or other emergency response skills to apply - all the necessary training is provided. You do need to:
- Have good all-round strength and fitness
- Have a full manual drivers’ licence
- Be prepared to relocate within Victoria
Thinking of applying? Read the essential criteria section first.
Applied before? Make sure you read the 'previous applicants' section in the Applicant Information Guide (PDF 1Mb)
The career firefighter role
This role is about far more than just fighting fires. Our career firefighters:
- Respond to various fire, accident, rescue and hazardous material situations
- Train, mentor and support volunteers and community members
- Talk to school/community groups and businesses about fire safety and prevention
- Maintain and monitor fire stations, equipment and water supplies
- Carry out administrative duties