Planning and Bushfire Management Overlay
Share | Print

Planning and Bushfire Management Overlay

The Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) applies to land in Victoria that may be at risk from bushfire. If your land is within the BMO you may need a planning permit to develop or subdivide.

The bushfire related planning controls have recently changed. For more information on what has changed, please visit The Department of Transport Planning and Local Infrastructure website.

Help and advice

  1. The first point of contact for general help and advice on applying for a permit is your local council.
  2. For information on preparing a planning application under the BMO, Planning Practice Note 65 may assist. 
  3. For further assistance the Fire Protection Association Australia website provides a list of accredited Bushfire Planning and Design Practitioners (BPAD) who can assist you with advice on the requirements for development in a BMO.
  4. Planning and BMO FAQ's 

Additional resources

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

Back to top