Planning and BMO
Share | Print

Planning and BMO

The Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) applies to land in Victoria that may be at risk from bushfire. If your land is within the BMO you may need a planning permit to develop or subdivide.

The bushfire related planning controls have recently changed. For more information on what has changed, please visit The Department of Transport Planning and Local Infrastructure website.       

Help and advice

  1. The first point of contact for general help and advice on applying for a permit is your local council.
  2. For information on preparing a planning application under the BMO, Planning Practice Note 65 (PDF 3.45MB) may assist. 
  3. For further assistance, an Accredited Bushfire Planning and Design practitioner may be able to assist you. Find a Victorian accredited practitioner on the Fire Protection Association Australia website.

Additional resources

Back to top