The Hotspot House
Select a spot to learn how to keep your home safe.
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Keep tea-towels and pot-holders away from the stove
- Keep grills, fans and cooking surfaces free from grease and residue.
Power and appliances
- Make sure heaters are off before going to bed or going out
- Keep clothing, curtains or toys one metre away from heaters
- Never overload powerboards
- Replace faulty appliances immediately.
- Change smoke alarm batteries every year
- Test and vacuum smoke alarms monthly
- Ensure you have a smoke alarm outside every sleeping area.
- Clean chimneys and flues every year
- Always use a fire screen in front of an open fire
- Keep candles, incense, and oil burners away from anything flammable
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Never smoke in bed
- Don't leave electric blankets on for more than 30 minutes
- Never put weight (people, animals or objects) on your bed while the electric blanket is switched on.
Clothes & laundry
- Clean the lint filter on your clothes dryer after each load
- Let the dryer complete its cool down cycle before stopping.