CFA has evolved from its informal beginnings in community-based fire brigades to become one of the world’s largest volunteer-based emergency service organisation.
We are wholly committed to the prevention, preparedness, response and recovery phases of emergency situations, providing a diverse range of risk reduction, fire suppression and incident management services to minimise the impact of fires and other emergencies on Victorian communities.
CFA provides statewide fire and related emergency coordination
- Wildfire suppression
- Structural fire suppression
- Transport-related fire suppression
- Road rescue
- Technical rescue, such as high angle, trench and mine operations
- Hazardous materials transportation and storage incidents
- Working with Forestry industry brigades
- Other emergency activities including flood assistance.
CFA is also involved in a range of non-emergency activities
- Community awareness, education and safety programs
- Fire safety input planning for major community risks
- Fire prevention and planning
- Land use planning advice at municipal level
- Technical services including building code-related inspections, post incident analysis and fire investigation.
- Vegetation Management
- Planned Burning
- Sustainable Fire Management