In early February a fire ignited which, on 9 February 2014, took hold in the Hazelwood coal mine. The fire was brought under control and the mine was handed back to its owners on 25 March 2014.
Many Morwell citizens and other residents of the Latrobe Valley were adversely affected by the fire and vulnerable residents were urged to relocate until air quality improved. A large number of people reported having respiratory and other health-related problems as a result of the conditions.
On 11 March 2014, the Premier of Victoria Denis Napthine, announced an independent inquiry into the circumstances of the Hazelwood mine fire, including the emergency response and the support provided to Morwell residents and other affected communities.
CFA is committed to reporting on all matters relating to the Morwell Inquiry.
- Government media release (PDF 80k)
- CEO and Chief Officer Blog: CFA Welcomes Hazelwood Mine Fire Enquiry Report
- Joint CFA/MFB Statement: Post Hazelwood Mine Fire health checks (PDF 421k)
- More Information on Morwell Report
- Previous blogs: Hazelwood briefing and inquiries