Report of Operations 2007-08 - Fire Equipment Maintenance
FEM is a commercial operation conducted by CFA through volunteer brigades.
The core business is the servicing and inspection and sale of fire extinguishers, fire blankets and fire hoses in public and private enterprise on a fee-for-service basis.
Approximately 300 of CFA's brigades are engaged in FEM. Collectively the brigades provide services to around 30,000 customers each year. Annual turnover is in excess of $6 million.
This year saw consolidation of previously started activities together with some new initiatives. Some of the activities undertaken during the reporting period include:
- centralisation of accounts payable function was completed with the work now integrated into normal business practice within CFA's Finance Directorate
- FEM policy review is nearing completion and will be presented to the Board in 2008-09
- a pilot scheme to provide online access to FEM business systems for 10 brigades has been undertaken through a customer relationship management package.
- the FEM contracts for brigades who use contractors are due for renewal in 2008. The majority of the contracts have been finalised.
- FEM Officer training is underway with 20 students commencing the second stage of the program.